Monday, September 10, 2012

Giant Robot Biennale 3: Part I

I'm finally back- hope you haven't been missing the critters too much!

The last couple of months have been crazy busy, but exciting.  Critters have been traveling all over the U.S.A., and even now to Switzerland- woohoo!  I've applied for some juried shows, and will have a couple of pieces in an upcoming show at the Japanese American National Museum (JANM), in Los Angeles, CA.  Sleep is for the weak, right?

Today is a day of mixed emotions.  I'm really excited to have finished my two pieces for the Giant Robot Biennale 3 at the JANM.  I mailed them to Giant Robot earlier today, but as I dropped them off, I couldn't help feeling a bit sad (and of course nervous until they arrive safely).  I've spent around a month with Mothman and Big Boss Robot, and have grown quite attached to these guys...

Here they are the day of their arrival:


I love how the light passes through Mothman's GID (glow-in-the-dark) pink vinyl.  Big Boss Robot is just adorable, and as you can see, they'd already become friends during their trip to Houston!

I am beyond excited and honored to be part of this show, alongside many of my vinyl toy heroes.  I began collecting Uglydolls by David Horvath and Sun-Min Kim a long time ago and now I am one of 80 artists customizing one of their critters along with Giant Robot's Big Boss Robot for this show. The artist list is quite impressive:


I can't wait to see everyone else's work!

Here are the guys after several coats of paint:


Finally finished!











If you are planning to be in Los Angeles, CA between 22 September 2012 and 20 January 2013, please stop by and see the show.

JAPANESE AMERICAN NATIONAL MUSEUM
100 North Central Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90012
phone: 213.625.0414
fax: 213.625.1770

No comments:

Post a Comment